Hotplate Labs is my engineering playground and the home of my personal infrastructure projects.
I've been doing this for more than 15 years, and Hotplate has been home to a lot of things in that time. Historically I provided wiki, mail and DNS hosting for friends, family and non-profit groups but I've cut back on that in 2018 and 2019. I still help out with various community projects when I can.
In the 90s it was cool to list all the systems in your network on a page on your website, so here's what powers Hotplate Labs in 2019:
- shambler Generation 10 HPE ProLiant MicroServer with 16GiB of RAM and four 3TB disks. Main application host.
- enforcer PC Engine APU3C4 with 4GB of RAM. Shell server and static web hosting.
- grunt PC Engine APU2B4 with 4GB of RAM (an early production unit complete with bodge wires). Primary firewall and VPN terminator.
- scrag VM hosted with Mythic Beasts in London. Monitoring and secondary application host.
- rotfish VM hosted with OpenBSD Amsterdam. Tertiary DNS.
- zuse i7-4770 workstation with 16GiB of RAM, two 3TB spinning disks and 128GB of SSD. Primary workstation at home, though it's getting on a bit.
- postel i5 ThinkPad X230 with 1080p LCD upgrade. The laptop I use mostly.
- amdahl i7 ThinkPad X250. A laptop I hardly ever use.
- kafka Microsoft Surface Go convertible Windows 10 hybrid tablet thing. Mainly for research and making pixel art. Runs Debian really well :)